Ever worry about getting struck down by cancer?
If so, you’re not alone – because the big C ranks as Kiwis’ number one health concern.
But thankfully, medical developments are improving the odds everyday. Drugs like Keytruda – a drug which unleashes the body’s immune system to fight melanoma, are having some amazing results.
But unfortunately many of these new (and very expensive) drugs are not funded by Pharmac.
Does your medical insurance cover non-pharmac drugs?
Let’s be honest, if you get the big C, you don’t want a big bill too.
But unfortunately that could be the case, depending on your medical insurance.
Long story short, not all health and medical insurance policies are equal.
- Do you know exactly what your medical insurance policy covers you for?
- Are you covered for non-Pharmac drugs?
- What are the payout levels for your policy?
Most people don’t know these details, if you’re one of them, it might be time to do something about it.
Check your insurance
Most basic health insurance policies won’t cover you for non-Pharmac treatments. But some more sophisticated policies may.
There’s a huge variation in the level of cover offered by different insurers. So it pays to understand the fine print in your policy – and if you’re not sure, ask your broker.
You should also think about other policies such as trauma cover and income protection.
4 tips to ensure you get the best cover:
- Explore a mix of policies such as medical, trauma, and income protection to cover all bases.
- Decide what is more important – covering medical costs such as doctors visits, or covering yourself for more severe medical crisis.
- Read the fine print and understand what your insurance policies cover you for (and don’t in this case). Your broker can help you understand what this means for you.
- Don’t just rely on the information provided by insurance companies online. There are a range of policies a broker has access to which could offer you much better bang for your buck.
Sound expensive? Not necessarily.
I generally find when I review health insurance I can provide a more comprehensive cover for major health issues (and often reduce premiums while I’m at it!).
As an insurance broker it’s my job to know the ins and outs of every policy. I can help you get the very best cover, with no disappointing surprises at claim time.
It’s just not worth running the risk of missing out on the best treatments available – whether Pharmac covers it or not.
Worried you may not have the right cover? Contact me (Jason) and let’s have a chat.